1,875 Posts in 546 Topics - by 1,449 Members - Latest Member: Yeetus Cleetus (Darksied)

Author Topic: Smart weld  (Read 641 times)

Offline Mitt Bohl (Grodbert)

• Date Registered: Aug 2017
  • I love HRP!
    • Italy
    • Windows 10
    • Chrome
Smart weld
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:36:09 am »
We should add smart weld, I mean, we already have smart nocollide which nocollides ALL props with ALL props, smart weld would do the same, reducing lag, construction time and wiggly boats, also they won't spaz out when they  hit a rock.
please add it I am sick of welding every prop by myself.

Offline Miku Netsuha (Nicknero)

• That one oldfag.
  • Administrator
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
  • Why are you reading this?
    • The Netherlands
    • Windows 10
    • Chrome
Re: Smart weld
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:36 pm »
Reducing lag? I bet the opposite.

You see, welding, and pretty much any constraint on your construction adds another calculation to the physics engine on the server.
There is really no point, and I highly advice any smart builder against it, to weld and no-collide props with each other that are not directly next to each other. Because those props never get close to each other and never will collide anyway. So adding a constraint (may it be weld or no-collide or anything else) will only add more unneeded stress to the server.

The only tool that would really help against huge constructions, would be the parenting tool. Which basically disables physics on a prop and makes it a decal, which reduces stress to the server massively.

TLDR: Be smart and limit your constraint usage by constraining your creations manually. Do NOT use mass-constraint tools that add 50+ useless constraints that only increase server lag.