1,875 Posts in 546 Topics - by 1,449 Members - Latest Member: Yeetus Cleetus (Darksied)

Author Topic: Arctic / Winter map versions?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Danny Hampton (wawa wawa)

• 20 fps life
  • Deluxe
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
    • United States
    • Android
    • Handheld Browser
Arctic / Winter map versions?
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »
Obviously a pretty tall order, so even if this is approved I wouldn't expect it to be around for some time. Simply suggesting a possible wintry version of the map for a little change of tone. (Possible the map could be rotated seasonally)

i hate people who say "quarter till 7" like just say 6:75 dumb as

Re: Arctic / Winter map versions?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:45 pm »
I actually think this is a really fun and cool idea. I saw a few addons that could actually simulate snow effects and actual snowfall on the map floor. We could also make it a snowy wonderland in Hammer.

This is something that we will definitely look into in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 20 fps life
  • Deluxe
    • United States
    • Android
    • Handheld Browser
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:11 pm »
Great! Also, would we ever consider using Atmos weather or something like that? It would do snow and rain, which would be great to see, but IIRC it takes a bite out of performance

Offline Miku Netsuha (Nicknero)

• That one oldfag.
  • Administrator
  • Why are you reading this?
    • The Netherlands
    • Windows 7
    • Firefox
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:26 pm »
HRP already has a Christmas theme build in as far as I remember. It will create snowfall effect, spawn christmas trees and create a few map placements with snow texture.
It works for our current map but I suppose you will have to change spawn locations if we are going to switch to the new map.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:05 pm »
HRP already has a Christmas theme build in as far as I remember. It will create snowfall effect, spawn christmas trees and create a few map placements with snow texture.
It works for our current map but I suppose you will have to change spawn locations if we are going to switch to the new map.

no

Great! Also, would we ever consider using Atmos weather or something like that? It would do snow and rain, which would be great to see, but IIRC it takes a bite out of performance

That's also a good suggestion. Maybe we could work multiple addons in unison to get the snowy effect.

• 20 fps life
  • Deluxe
    • United States
    • Android
    • Handheld Browser
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 03:04:45 pm »

no

That's also a good suggestion. Maybe we could work multiple addons in unison to get the snowy effect.

Would it also be possible to use Atmos for rain in the server? I feel like it would add some to the world.

Offline John Heald (Bay)

• Catalyst Regular
  • Developer
  • Billy's Son
    • United States
    • Windows 10
    • Firefox
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 06:32:01 pm »
Frozen parts of the ocean, possibly during winter, and while during summer for RH, we can have a wintery version of Green Harbor?

Sincerely, your favorite player, twitch.tv/bayprophet (John Heald)!

• 20 fps life
  • Deluxe
    • United States
    • Android
    • Handheld Browser
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
Frozen parts of the ocean, possibly during winter, and while during summer for RH, we can have a wintery version of Green Harbor?

Love the idea of icebergs or ice sheets. Reminds me of a space build map where one planet had big floating ice chunks you could move around.

• That one oldfag.
  • Administrator
    • The Netherlands
    • Windows 7
    • Firefox
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 04:11:27 am »

no
No what? I didn't ask a question nor suggested anything. I simply stated a fact. Something that cannot be answered with yes or no.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:57:12 am »

no
No what? I didn't ask a question nor suggested anything. I simply stated a fact. Something that cannot be answered with yes or no.

No as in we do not have a Christmas theme. We have a halloween thing from the 2014 event, but that's it. No Christmas theme.

• That one oldfag.
  • Administrator
    • The Netherlands
    • Windows 7
    • Firefox
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:00:03 pm »

no

No as in we do not have a Christmas theme. We have a halloween thing from the 2014 event, but that's it. No Christmas theme.

Weird. I could look into my copy to see if I could find anything like that. It includes a christmas tree with presents which you can grab one once per day and it would give you a random thing. That could either be some money (between 5 and 15k) or some random items.
Pretty much the same idea as the halloween candy bag.